Since its development in 1981, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) has served as a non-profit, private council to monitor and evaluate resident training programs across 133 disciplines in the United States. In 2003, the ACGME implemented codified work-hour restrictions, largely in response to a number of troubling factors including escalating resident work demands, increased public concern, the possibility of governmental intervention, and published research on the consequences of sleep deprivation. In doing so, it has significantly changed the face of orthopedic residency training programs.
1. Kusuma SK, Mehta S, Sirkin M, et al. Measuring the attitudes and impact of the eighty-hour workweek rules on orthopedic surgery residents. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(3):679-685.
2. Immerman I, Kubiak EN, Zuckerman JD. Resident work-hour rules: a survey of residents’ and program directors’ opinions and attitudes. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead, NJ). 2007;36(12):E172-E179.
3. Zuckerman JD, Kubiak EN, Immerman I, Dicesare P. The early effects of code 405 work rules on attitudes of orthopaedic residents and attending surgeons. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87(4):903-908.
4. Baldwin K, Namdari S, Donegan D, Kamath AF, Mehta S. Early effects of resident work-hour restrictions on patient safety: a systematic review and plea for improved studies. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93(2):e5.
5. Pellegrini VD Jr. Considering educational work-hour guidelines in the global orthopaedic community. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92(7):e1.
6. Mir HR, Cannada LK, Murray JN, Black KP, Wolf JM. Orthopaedic resident and program director opinions of resident duty hours: a national survey. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93(23):e1421-e1429.
7. Drolet BC, Christopher DA, Fischer SA. Residents’ response to duty-hour regulations—A follow-up national survey. New Eng J Med. 2012 May 30. [ePub ahead of print]
8. Kairys JC, McGuire K, Crawford AG, Yeo CJ. Cumulative operative experience is decreasing during general surgery residency: a worrisome trend for surgical trainees? J Am Coll Surg. 2008;206(5):804-811.
9. Baskies MA, Ruchelsman DE, Capeci CM, Zuckerman JD, Egol KA. Operative experience in an orthopaedic surgery residency program: the effect of work-hour restrictions. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90(4):924-927.
10. Pappas AJ, Teague DC. The impact of the accreditation council for graduate medical education work-hour regulations on the surgical experience of orthopaedic surgery residents. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(4):904-909.
11. Herndon JH. The future of specialization within orthopedics. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004;86-A(11):2560-2566.
12. Sargent MC, Sotile W, Sotile MO, Rubash H, Barrack RL. Quality of life during orthopaedic training and academic practice. Part 1: orthopaedic surgery residents and faculty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;91(10):2395-2405.